Health in All Policies (HiAP)
Health in All Policies is an approach to public policies across sectors that systematically takes into account the health implications of decisions, seeks synergies, and avoids harmful health impacts, in order to improve population health and health equity. (WHO (2013), Health in All Policies – Framework for Country Action)
The Global Network for Health in All Policies (GNHiAP) will work with various governments and institutions across different sectors at all levels to address the determinants of health by strengthening the HiAP approach. The aim is to support the development of skills, build capacity, share knowledge, and facilitate systems change towards embedding a whole-of-government for sustainable development.
The HiAP approach is strengthened with the aim of implementing the SDGs and facilitating progress on Universal Health Coverage.
- To advocate for HiAP
- To lead, provide and facilitate HiAP implementation in regions, national and sub-national levels to support the implementation of the SDG agenda
- To strengthen and institutionalize HiAP as a whole- of- government approach
- To facilitate the development of tools, guidelines and, to support a step- by- step HiAP implementation “from theory to practice” with the benefit of worldwide expertise in collaboration with WHO and other partners
- To enable knowledge sharing and learning from country experiences, reflecting cultural diversity and context through South- to- South and Triangular Cooperation
- To enhance the research and evidence generation on the effectiveness of HiAP’s approach to support the implementation of the SDGs and UHC
- To create an online platform where countries can access a range of support materials, engage in rich interactive discussions and share experiences
- To build capacity and skills to enable implementation of Health in All Policies and facilitate system change towards embedding sustainable development
GNHiAP Membership criteria
- Institutional entity: Government agencies at all levels, Civil Society Organizations, Non-Governmental Organizations, United Nations and International Organizations, Private sector, Academic Institutions, Universities, Media and other networks of interest.
- Expertise: Health and non-health field
- Motivation: Experienced or interested in Health in All Policies action
Based on a multi-stakeholder engagement with the aim of ensuring effective coordination and tangible outputs. GNHiAP is managed by the Executive Committee with supervision of the Steering Committee. All committee members work pro bono.